Buying or Selling a Vehicle

Seller responsibilities

     1. Sign title. Once you have closed the deal on the sale of a vehicle, you must transfer the title to the new owner by properly endorsing the title.  Sellers may report release of liability after the sale at:

          a. All owners whose names appear on the front of the title must print & sign their names on the seller’s side of the title in the manner in which they appear. (Ex.: James A Smith should not sign as Jim A Smith)

          a1. Signing off a title for a company:

Example: A title in the name of John Smith Storage Company requires:

     - The printed name of the company and the printed name of the authorized agent for the company.

Ex: John Smith Storage Company by John Smith, Pres.

     - Signature of the agent for the company.

Example: A title in the name of John Smith Storage Company and John Smith requires:

John Smith’s signature to release his interest in the vehicle and someone other than John Smith must sign for John Smith Storage Company.


If John Smith is the sole owner of the company, he must complete a DR2444 Statement of Fact that he is the sole owner of the company and the only person authorized to sign for the company. Only one signature for John Smith is required for both the individual and the company.

          b. Provide a current odometer reading if the vehicle is less than ten years old.

          c. If payments are to be made to a lien holder by the buyer, an acceptable mortgage document must be provided.  The mortgage document must contain the words “Security Agreement or “Promissory Note”, vehicle description (year, make, model, VIN), Buyer(s) & lien holder's name and address, lien amount, and the buyer’s signature. Please note: The buyer cannot register the vehicle without a properly endorsed title.

          d. Filing fees -  In addition to the title fee of $7.20, there is a document filing fee of:

               -Paper size up to 8 ½ x 14 = $5 per page or per side.

              -Over 8 ½ x 14 = $10 per page or per side.

     2. Remove plates. By Colorado State Law, sellers must retain their own plates before the buyer drives away. If plates are left on the vehicle when transferred to a new owner, you could be liable for traffic tickets and other legal problems that are connected with the plate number—and with you. If you forgot to remove your plates, you may report them lost or stolen at your county Motor Vehicle office. See form DR2283.

          a. Keep a copy of your registration with your plates. You will need this if you want to transfer these plates to another vehicle.

Please note: You may provide the buyer with a signed and dated Bill of Sale, including your name(s), the purchase price, the VIN, and the year and make of the vehicle. (Not required but recommended). (See Bill of Sale).

Buyer responsibilities

Within 60 days upon sale of a motor vehicle, the buyer must either register the vehicle or present the certificate of title to the Weld County Motor Vehicle office. (We serve Weld county residents only).

     1. Endorse title. Make sure the seller(s), whose name(s) appear on the front of the title, properly endorses the title over to you in order to avoid problems at the Motor Vehicle office. Complete the Buyer’s area. (Only one signature is required to acknowledge odometer on the buyer’s side of the Colorado title). Please note: if Joint Tenancy is desired all buyers must complete the DR2395 Joint Tenancy document.

     2. Provide Secure & Verifiable I.D. Ex: Driver’s license, Colorado I.D. or U.S. Passport (See DR2841).

     3. Provide valid proof of insurance on the vehicle being registered

     4. Provide an enhanced emissions test if you are in the emissions area

Please note: You may obtain a temporary permit to allow you to get an emission test or complete other necessary forms.

All sales taxes will be collected at the time you title your vehicle or obtain a temporary permit.

Please note: You may grant someone Power of Attorney (see DR2175) to title & register a vehicle for you. This form requires the grantor’s signature to be notarized. Any alterations or errors void this document.

BUYERS BEWARE: If you purchase a vehicle without the proper ownership documents, you may need to apply for title by following the surety bonding procedure. The DR2922 “Title or Salvage Title Established by Surety Bond” procedures packet is available at the County Clerk’s office or you may download the forms off of our website.

If you have purchased a vehicle from another state:

  • Provide Secure & Verifiable ID (See DR2841)
  • Your out of state title properly assigned & notarized (if required)
  • A bill of sale either notarized or signed under penalty of perjury.
  • A vehicle identification verification form DR2698 (completed by Colorado law enforcement, a licensed Colorado motor vehicle dealer or Colorado Emissions Station)
  • Current odometer reading if vehicle is less than 10 years old.
  • Proof of Emissions if in the emissions area (see
  • Proof of vehicle insurance.
  • Certified weight scale ticket if this is a trailer, truck -tractor or motor home and the weight does not appear on the title/registration.
  • An acceptable mortgage document if the vehicle is financed. (The title work may be mailed to your motor vehicle office by an out of state dealer. Please contact your dealer to find out the status of your paperwork).

Please Note: You may have a title that has a brand such as “Rebuilt from Salvage” or “Salvaged”. You will be required to complete a DR2710 Branded Title Disclosure to acknowledge any and all brands that appear on your title.

Please Note: If you purchased a vehicle that is branded, then both the Seller & Buyer must complete the disclosure form acknowledging the selling of a branded vehicle and mark all brands that appear on the title.

Note: The information above is provided as a guideline to assist Weld County residents when purchasing a vehicle. There may be additional crucial papers required after a County Motor Vehicle Agent examines your documents.