Watercraft, ATVs, Off Road Motorcycles

ATV Senate Bill 13-280 Titling Off Highway Vehicles, effective July 1, 2014 creates the ability for Off Highway Vehicles and Snowmobiles to be titled.

Senate Bill 13-280 applies only to titling of OHV. Registration of OHV is still completed through Colorado Parks and Wildlife. For more information regarding OHV registration, please visit http://cpw.state.co.us/buyapply/Pages/RegistrationsOHV.aspx

An Off-Highway Vehicle (OHV), C.R.S. 42-6-102 (11.5), is defined as:

A self-propelled vehicle that is:

  • Designed to travel on wheels or tracks in contact with the ground.
  • Designed primarily for use off of the public highways and generally and commonly used to transport persons for recreational purposes.
  • Off-highway vehicles include vehicles commonly known as all-terrain vehicles and snowmobiles.
  • Off-highway vehicles do not include:
    • Toy vehicles (any vehicle with wheels and is not designed for use on the public highways or for off-road use)
    • Vehicles designed and used primarily for travel on, over, or in the water
    • Military vehicles
    • Golf carts or golf cars
    • Vehicles designed and used to carry persons with disabilities
    • Vehicles designed and used specifically for agricultural, logging, or mining purposes
    • Motor Vehicles

A Snowmobile, C.R.S. 42-6-102 (18.5), is defined as:

  • A self-propelled vehicle primarily designed or altered for travel on snow or ice off of the public highways and supported by skis, belts, or cleats.
  • Snowmobile does not include machinery used for the grooming of snowmobile trails or ski slopes.

OHV Titling Required Documents: Proof of Ownership

  • Manufacturer Certificate of Origin (MCO)/ Manufacturer Statement of Origin (MSO) or
  • Or Certificate of Title or
  • Or Current Colorado Parks and Wildlife OHV registration

All current titling laws, processes, and procedures apply.

  • Owner’s address of residence is used unless the OHV is permanently maintained at a different address. Businesses will use the address where the vehicle is principally operated and maintained.
  • OHV may not be issued salvage titles – C.R.S 42-6-102-17(a)(II)

Dealer purchases/trades from an individual on or after July 1, 2014:

  • C.R.S. 42-6-148 requires an individual to obtain title prior to selling an OHV to a dealer.
  • Obtaining title is optional for private party to private party sales.

Establishing Ownership

  • Current Colorado Parks and Wildlife Registration
  • Applicants who are unable to provide acceptable proof of ownership documents may obtain title by following the bond process outlined in the Title or Salvage Title Established by Surety Bond Checklist (Form DR 2922).
    • Exceptions to the Purchase of the Surety Bond:
      • No surety bond is required if any of the following apply:
        • OHV is 25 years or older (A certified VIN inspection and notarized bill of sale within 24 months of purchase are required).
        • Off-highway vehicle was moved to Colorado from a state not issuing certificates of title for off-highway vehicles;
        • Off-highway vehicle is used and held as inventory by a power sports dealer;
        • Off-highway vehicle was owned by an agency of the United States or another state or a political subdivision thereof;
        • Off-highway vehicle was owned by an agricultural producer and used strictly for agricultural purposes;
        • Off-highway vehicle was owned exclusively for the purpose of being operated in an organized competitive or noncompetitive event on publicly or privately owned or leased land; except that this exemption does not apply unless the agency exercising jurisdiction over the land specifically authorizes the organized competitive or noncompetitive event; or
        • Off-highway vehicle was used by a dealer, manufacturer, or authorized designee for an off-highway vehicle operator education or safety program.

Lien Filing:

Liens may be filed on off-highway vehicles in the same manner as motor vehicles.

  • Liens are valid for ten years
  • Titles will be mailed to the lienholder
  • Liens may be extended for successive three year periods

Please contact the Title and Registration Sections with any questions at (303205-5608.