Public Safety Information
Due to the individualized and serious nature of emergency response efforts, a variety of personal information may be collected by first responders and other personnel, as needed. Federal, state and municipal laws around this data collection, use and disclosure practices may fall outside of the scope of this Privacy Notice.
Examples of Public Safety Information
- Incidents, warrants, citations, and other law records
- Case and Court records
- Emergency calls
- Jail booking, medical, and other jail records
- Video and audio footage (streaming or recorded) from police-worn body cameras and police in-car video systems
Using Public Safety Information
Public safety information may be used for a variety of reasons, some of which include:
- Dispatching first responders in emergency response situations
- Accountability, oversight, and audit
- Traffic violation enforcement
- Criminal investigations
- Criminal prosecutions
Emergency call centers may also follow different protocols while responding to emergency calls.
Protections for Public Safety Information
Special regulatory requirements for some public safety information is addressed in Criminal Justice Information Services Security Policy.